Initial exploration had the students in the class identifying;
1. Things they already knew or thought they already knew,
2. Things they might need to learn about,
3. Steps they might need to take in order to achieve the end goal “Launching of George to Space”,
4. Materials that they thought would be needed to launch and,
5. Resources or People that might be able to help with the above.
Much of what you see here came from a reading of “Lego Man in Space” early in the year when there were just 4 students in the class, prior independent reading of space and space exploration, hands-on investigation of some materials we had and of course, some generalized reading from our #1 source of information, the WWW.
The thinking here would guide us as we would proceed with the project.